Cumberland County Heritage Network Society

Saturday, September 26, 2009

“From the Heart” Needlework Display

The Cumberland County Museum and Archives, in conjunction with the Fibre Arts Festival, are pleased to present “From the Heart” Needlework Display, featuring local needlework artist and first time exhibitor
Elizabeth (Liz) Anne Hickey.

Amherst born Elizabeth Anne Hickey’s love for Needlework began in 1974.

“I was watching Jeanette (Hebert) Gagnon working on a needlepoint piece and you could say I was hooked. I asked Jeanette if she would mind teaching me and she did,” stated Elizabeth. “But I taught myself to do the Counted Cross-Stitch.”

Over the past 35 years, Elizabeth has become a very talented Needlework Artist and each year she creates many wonderful works of art that she openheartedly presents as gifts to her love ones, friends and co-workers. Her love for others are depicted in such pieces as Welcome, County Settings and a Map of Nova Scotia created in the blue and white tartan. “I just hope people enjoy my gifts as much as I enjoy making them” says Elizabeth.

But there are two pieces that will always hold a very special place in my heart. Elizabeth has created two 57cm. by 43cm pieces; one of a “Young Girl” and the other of a “Young Boy”. These pieces depict Elizabeth and her brother Douglas. Douglas passed away from Tetanus at the age of 10. “I intended to give these pieces as a gift to my mother however she passed away before they were completed. So now they have a place of honour at Home Again Dry Cleaners our family business; where my parents and I worked together.”Elizabeth’s unique “Needlework Display: can be seen at the Cumberland County Museum and Archives, 150 Church Street, Amherst from Tuesday, September 29, 2009 to Saturday, October 31st. Times of exhibit: Tuesday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturday 12 pm to 5pm. Admission is $3.00 per person. For more information please contact Shirley Nickerson at 667-2561.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts are moderated in order to ensure prompt reponses to your feedback. Thank you!